Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Your Bucket List

Salutations to a wonderful 2008 for you and your family.

Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman are starring in a new movie that debuts January 11th. (hey-this is the same day as the new Veggie Tales movie) This movie ties Nicholson who is a corporate billionaire and Freeman as a mechanic who meet in the hospital and figure out they have two things in common
1) a desire to do everything they want to do before they "kick the bucket" and 2) an unrealized need to come to terms with who they are.

So as we begin 2008 that was a good tie in for me to this year. Do you have a bucket list? I think that is something I will contemplate this week.

I was sitting here thinking about Lou Holtz and his list of 107 things I want to do before I die...well, and then that speech he taped for the Illinois players that ESPN showed about 8 gazillion times over the last two days....the speech didn't help..... but this list thing is pretty big. Check out this article from August about it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/fashion/26list.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

and the website from the article where you can make your list:
http://www.43things.com/

and since it is a new year the government has a web page to help people with common resolutions......no kidding:
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/New_Years_Resolutions.shtml

The Top 10 Christian Books right now is kinda of interesting:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?CAT=930601&srt=S&z=y&cds2Pid=17801

And lastly, today the wife and I went to the new Publix in Chattanooga. It was not as crazy as she said it had been. In fact they have some people coming in from Atlanta to work to help cover this business.

My observations. 1) As I drove around town today there wasn't much traffic at all and alot of businesses were closed. It reminded me of how Sundays used to be growing up. It was kinda neat......
2) the people at Publix are friendly. Some of the add ons they do are already being copied by the Bi-Lo's which will create some neat competition that Albertsons didn't understand when they came in to town.
3) they understand customer service. I only hope it last. New staff, new store and a reason to impress. The test will come in about a year if they are still pushing that envelope.
4) Just the little things they do will have great impact on this city. Because other business people will come in and go....you know we need to be improving our customer service too... how do we do that? I am all about that.

Thanks to Gary for posting yesterday. Gary has a wonderful way with words and I have asked him to post as he feels things strike him. He loves the Lord and I appreciate him as a brother in Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I may "kick the bucket"