Thursday, January 3, 2008

"some sin grows away"

Good news for the believer, some sin goes away----some sin grows away. This seems to be my experience since my conversion to Christianity some 30 years ago. Many of my friends that are mature in the Lord agree as well. I would like to encourage you with this thought today. There is hope for winning the battle over the sin that seems to entangle you again and again. Sometimes we get tired of asking God to forgive us for the same thing over and over. It becomes easier and easier to say, “I quit, I give up, I can’t do it”. You are not alone. I believe everyone that really wants to live the Christ life has the same struggle. If you don’t struggle then I would question which direction you are walking, down hill is always easier.

It’s the “grows away” I'd like to talk about. We think the battle in sin is in the stopping, but it’s in the growing. As we grow in our maturity as a Christian we grow away from our sin. We begin to create a distance between sin and where we are in Christ. The bible says we should grow in our knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As we grow in that knowledge the distance from sin grows, we get further and further away from it, we “grow away”.

For us that have children we know they need to grow up. If they stay a child they'll not be able to live in a grown up world. Well the same thing is true in the spiritual world, we need to grow up. We do not need to rebuild the foundation (which is Christ), but go on to maturity. We don't need to keep on asking for forgiveness again and again as if we've never found any hope in Christ, as if we believe we've never really found new life in Him (rebuild the foundation over and over), but to move on to maturity in our knowledge of spiritual matters. We don't stop sinning, we................distance ourselves from it in our knowledge of Christ. We grow away! - Gary

No comments: