Tuesday, April 1, 2008

"boot straps"

Does the independent spirit, the spirit of the John Wayne, “pull yourself up by the boot straps” and the Frank Sinatra, “I did it my way”, philosophy work in real life? It seems to work really well in Hollywood.

I do not pretend to be an expert about this, but I know in my own life it doesn’t work. Life can get mighty heavy when we carry everything ourselves. The John Wayne of Hollywood never needed help, he could take care of anything and anybody. We see this independent spirit celebrated in our National symbol of the eagle. The eagle is a strong bird that flies high, and is very independent. But he flies alone, he’s a “pull yourself up by the bootstraps” kinda bird. Teddy Roosevelt didn't think too much of that bird, he called the eagle a “glorified buzzard”. Teddy was a grizzly bear man.

This kind of independence seems to imply we should improve our situation by our own effort. Most will agree that it is hard to change anything without personal effort, but there is little praise for friendship and community in this John Wayne independence.

Christianity is about personal responsibility “yes” but it's also about relationships. It’s about friendship and community. It’s about having friends who will support, help, encourage, and hold you accountable to Godly principles. Who do you talk with about the actual living and doing of Christianity? Who do you trust? Many of us struggle because we have no one to show us what Christianity really looks like. We have no model to learn from. Jesus promised us an abundant life, but where is that life? Does that question haunt you?

After I became a Christian my life was like a yo-yo….. up and down. I stayed discouraged because the abundant life was so elusive, it was like trying to close your fist around smoke that would just disappear. God began to show me over and over the importance of relationships. As I listened to God’s prompting I finally started moving out of my comfort zone and opening my heart to other men. I found out that most men were struggling just like me, and after a long search I found a few godly men who invested their time in me one on one. Things changed.

This process of finding mentors opened my eyes to something I should have seen a long time ago………… most Christian men are “pull yourself up by the bootstrap” kinda guys who dug out a somewhat consistent Christian life, but still lacks the abundant life Jesus offers.

Those with an abundant life will always stand out……….their smile is real and they make a difference in the life of others. We have to die a little and trust a lot to open our hearts for all to see………..but the light that comes in from such courage changes everything. God rushes into a heart that is open, and the abundant life begins……..

No comments: